One cannot describe the pain due to kidney stones. According to the estimation of The National Kidney Foundation, 1 out of every 10 people suffers from a kidney stone. It can be at any point in their whole life.
The kidney stones generally measure in millimeters. They are tiny in size, but the pain is hard to tolerate.
What are Kidney Stones?
The kidney purifies waste, and your body contains various types of wastes. A stone in the kidney form due to less quantity of water in the body. The waste gets converted into a crystal because of the lack of water in the body.
If a person consumes too much calcium and other minerals, it can also be the reason behind a kidney stone. It can also lead the stone to grow bigger. There is also a risk of infection due to a kidney stone. The reason behind it is the blockage due to stone.
Because of blockage, the bacteria flow back into the blood, which is extremely dangerous. When a person is suffering from a kidney stone, he/she can quickly become sick.
Causes and Types of Kidney Stone
There are various causes and types of stones according to the several factors of your diet and body. These stones form when there is a high amount of impurities in your urine. Those impurities collect and forms as crystal in the kidney.
Substances such as oxalate, calcium, and uric acid lead to the formation of stones in the kidney. It is necessary to determine the type of stone you are suffering from. It gives a clue on how to deal with it and reduce the risk of the formation of another stone in the future.
The various types of stones in the kidney include:
- Calcium Stone – These are the most common types of stones found in the kidney. They form because of calcium oxalate, which is a substance formed by your liver every day. Consuming a few of the products in high quantities can lead to this. You need to reduce the intake of calcium oxalate to prevent the formation of this stone.
- Uric Acid Stone – This type of stone generally forms in people who have a high-protein diet and lose too much urine. The urine quantity can increase due to malabsorption or chronic diarrhea. Apart from it, genetic factors can also increase the risk of this stone in your kidney.
- Struvite Stone – Due to urinary tract infection, this stone forms in the kidney of an individual. These types of stones can quickly grow large, resulting in pain and a few other symptoms.
- Cystine Stone – The cystine stone forms in the kidney due to a hereditary disorder, which is known as cystinuria. Because of this, kidneys are likely to excrete much more amino acid as compared to normal.
Finding the type of stone you are having can assist the doctor to give the correct treatment and medication. Therefore, try to find out from which category of kidney stones you are suffering.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
If you have a stone in the kidney, there can be different symptoms. The reason is that different people suffer from different kinds of symptoms. The symptoms can be as follows:
- Discoloration of the urine
- Fever or chills
- Pain in the side, below the ribs, or back
- Burning sensation or pain during urinating
- Vomiting or nausea
- More often urinating than normal
- A smell in the urine
You should pay attention to the symptoms as they vary from person to person. If you notice anything, then consult a doctor for the same. Do not delay with the consultation as timely medication are crucial with this problem.
Prevention Tips for Kidney Stones
The best effort you can make to prevent kidney stones is to keep yourself hydrated. Drink an adequate amount of water according to your body type. It will increase the amount of urine pass that helps in flushing the kidneys.
You can also use substitutes of water like fruit juice, lemon-lime soda, and other drinks. It is to increase the intake of water. Citric acid helps to prevent the formation of stones in the kidney. Eat food that is rich in citric acids such as lemon, oranges, and others.
Reduce the consumption of salt and animal protein to reduce the risk of a kidney stone. You can also start eating oxalate-rich food to balance the intake of animal protein and salt. If you are still noticing any of the symptoms then you should consult your doctor.
The doctor will guide you or prescribe some medication to get rid of the pain and symptoms. Therefore, these are the best preventions you can take for a kidney stone.
Steps to Prevent Stone in Kidney
If you want to prevent the formation of stones in your kidney, then follow these steps. It can help you keep healthy and problem-free. The steps are as follows:
- Step 1 – Try to increase the intake of fluids in your body. Also, remember that it should not breach the maximum limits, as it is also harmful to your kidneys.
- Step 2 – Another thing that you should do for the prevention of stone formation is eat food that is rich in citric acid. It can help in the cleaning of your kidneys and reduce the possibility of stone.
- Step 3 – Keep an eye on the nutrients of your diet. Make sure that you are consuming the right amount of each vitamin and mineral. Do not consume anything too much.
- Step 4 – If still, you face any problems then consult your doctor. Share the symptoms that you are feeling for proper treatment and medicines.
- Step 5 – After successfully getting rid of the kidney stone, make sure that you develop a habit of eating everything correctly. It is to avoid any further formation of stones in your kidney.
Kidney stones can be extremely painful. It is very hard to deal with them. Taking a balanced diet and consuming healthy things can assist you in reducing the risk of the formation of stone. Take preventive measures because this is very common in people. If you are suffering from it then must consult your doctor to get the proper treatment.