The Covid-19 pandemic has made us realize that we must prioritize our health more than any other thing. Gone are the days when readily available medical supplies are utilized by those people who live with senior citizens requiring continuous supervision or family members suffering from any chronic health condition.
As we have seen sudden unexpected health changes worldwide and adapting our lifestyle to those changes, it is good for households to have medical supplies. Your healthcare professional may not always be immediately available. Having these medical supplies at home acts as a preventive tool that can save the patient’s life in case of any emergency.
The benefits of having reliable and easy-to-use medical supplies at home include
Keeping an eye on symptoms
Supervising chronic illnesses like diabetes, asthma, and cancer
Saving lives during an emergency
Eliminating the need for expensive medical procedures
Avoiding worst-case situations
If you have planned to purchase at-home medical supplies, this guide will help you. In this article, we have listed the most important ones to be available in every household.
1) Medical Thermometer
- There is no doubt that a medical thermometer is the essential medical equipment one should have at home. It helps you measure the body temperature and assists in further decision-making whether to visit the physician or not.
- Nowadays, telehealth services have become popular, an online virtual medical consultation done with the help of mobile applications or software. Having a reliable medical thermometer at home significantly helps when having a virtual appointment with your doctor, who can easily recommend the appropriate medicine by evaluating the measured temperature results you provided.
- There are different types of contact and contactless thermometers that you can choose according to your preferences or the age of your family members. Digital thermometers, oral thermometers, digital ear thermometers, forehead thermometers, app-based thermometers, pacifier thermometers, and mercury thermometers are the various medical thermometers available.
- It is important to note that no thermometer will provide the best accurate results if used incorrectly, and hence read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- Sterile saline is one of the essential at-home medical supplies. It can be effective for wound wash, eye flush, nasal moisturizer, and surgical site cleanser. Saline can be easily prepared at home, but it is good to have sterile saline as it is readily available, and home-prepared saline can take up to 15 minutes.
- For cuts and scrapes, pour the saline gently across the wound and then allow it to flush back out. If your baby suffers from a dry nasal passage, use a q-tip or small squirt bottle to place one or two drops into either nasal passage. For eye washing, use a clean and sterile eyedropper to apply one or two drops to each eye. Saline also helps in cleaning areas affected by acne or blackheads after acne therapy.
3) Vitamin B12 Drip
- If you look after older adults at your home, then vitamin b12 drip is one of the most necessary medical supplies to have. Vitamin B2 is efficient for the human body, and its deficiency could lead to serious health issues. Older people are the ones who are most affected by Vitamin B12 deficiency, and maintaining their energy levels could be challenging.
- Vitamin B12 IV shot has the potential to absorb vitamin B12 and fluids directly into the bloodstream, thereby providing the body with an instant and efficient hydration along with nutrient effects. Vitamin B12 shots are readily available online or from your local medical supplier, and having it handy helps senior citizens to improve their energy levels.
4) Medical Splint
- Getting injured at home when doing an activity is common. The splint is an effective medical device to have at home as it can provide support to the fractured bone by keeping it stable when the injured person is taken to the hospital for further medical treatment.
- Splinting can prevent bleeding by preventing the broken bone from protruding through the skin. It also helps to manage pain and protect from further injury. It is one of the inexpensive medical supplies available.
5) Emergency Blankets
- Emergency blankets, also known as thermal blankets, are essential medical supplies in case of severe weather. When you are exposed to cold weather, these blankets could keep you warm by limiting the amount of heat loss.
- The human body usually maintains a core temperature at 37 degrees Celsius, and a sudden drop in temperature below 35 degrees Celsius is termed hypothermia. Wearing these blankets prevents hypothermia.
6) First-Aid Kit
- Every household needs to have a first-aid medical supply kit in case of an emergency. It can help reduce the risk of infection or the severity of an injury. It keeps the injured person stabilized prior to further medical treatment.
- The first-aid kit includes bandages, antibiotics, thermometer, burn gel, iodine pad, CPR mask, instant cold pack, pain relief medication like Aspirin or Tylenol, antihistamines to treat allergies and insect bites, oral rehydration salts to intake if anyone suffers from diarrhea, and antacids to reduce stomach pain.
- Humidifiers gained attention after the Covid-19 pandemic hit the world hard. A humidifier is a device that increases humidity. It puts moisture into the air. Having low humidity levels in the home has a high chance of spreading viruses and airborne bacteria.
- Whenever an infected person coughs or sneezes, they release aerosolized droplets containing germs and viruses that remain airborne for hours. Suppose the relative humidity level indoor is below 40%. In that case, the germs and viruses emitted by infected people absorb less water, continue to be lighter and remain contagious for an extended period, thereby increasing the risk of healthy people contacting covid-19.
- A humidifier needs to be added to the list of medical supplies at home to avoid such cases. It maintains an ideal humidity level and ensures the safety of the household members. Humidifiers are also helpful in protecting the eyes, throat, and skin from dry air.
The medical supplies we have listed here help every household member in case of an emergency. It is also essential to consult with healthcare professionals before buying medical supplies for your home to get the most reliable equipment. If you have planned to purchase online, read customer reviews and select the durable one. After buying, read the user manual thoroughly or ask your medical practitioner if you are struck with any confusion to ensure that you use the devices correctly and handle them safely.